GROW BASIL PLANTS
Product Type: Bonsai
Cultivating Difficulty: Very Easy
Full-bloom Period: Summer
Use: Outdoor Plants
Basil, scientifically known as Ocimum basilicum, also known as Great Basil, Saint-Joseph’s-wort. It is a culinary herb of Lamiaceae (mint) family. It has a marvelous variety to choose from and often referred to as King of herbs.
It is one of the oldest herbs known to mankind. These are certainly one of the most popular herbs of home garden. This plant is a native to tropical regions from Central Africa to Southeast Asia. Basil is a tender plant and it is used in a large variety of cuisines world-wide. Do you have an idea that this plant is highly popular in Italian and Southeast Asian cookery, basil or sweet basil is originally from India.
Basil is an annual herb with aromatic leaves that are closely related to mint. These aromatic leaves, with a pinch of cloves and pepper, are widely used as an ingredient in fresh salad and in soups and stews. The leaves of this plant are used in a variety of culinary preparations. With addition to its flavor, this herb is said to preserve and enhance the properties of food. It has an ability to add an amazing Italian flare to any dish and tastes awesome when chopped.
The commonly available type of basil is Sweet basil; other ones include Purple basil, Lemon basil and Thai basil. Most of the common varieties of basil are treated as annuals; some are perennial, belonging to warm, tropical climate, which includes holy basil and African Blue Basil. Let’s see how this plant looks like.
Sweet basil grows as frost tender annually as shrubs which are up to 20 inches high. It has 4 inches long shiny and oval leaves. The stem of basil plant is tough and has a square profile. This plant produces white flowers followed by small, black seeds.
Do you know an interesting thing about basil? These plants often grow as annuals but they may survive for several seasons, if properly cared and can attain a height between 30 and 130 cms depending upon their variety.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BASIL
Basil plant is not only a King of herbs but also a great ingredient in food, this plant provides a large number of health benefits which can cure a wide range of diseases.
- Basil has powerful antioxidants. It contains water soluble flavonoids known as rietin and viceninare which can help to protect white blood cells. It is also known to provide a shield against radical damage. Basil is rich in Vitamin A as well.
- Basil as an anti-inflammatory herb. The powerful essential oils, including eugenol, citronellol and linalool have enzyme inhibiting properties which help in lowering the inflammation. These inflammatory properties may help in lowering the risk of heart diseases, rheumatoid arthritis and bowel conditions.
- Basil may fight cancer as well. Studies published in one of the journal Nutrition and Cancer states that basil plant contains phytochemicals which may prevent cancer naturally.
- Basil is antibacterial in nature. It boosts our immune system and fight-off pre-existing infections. Basil extracts has been also shown to help in inhibiting resistant strains of bacteria, that doesn’t responds to antibiotics.
- Basil as a natural adaptogen. Basil helps your body in reducing stress factors and stress related disorders. The basil herb is believed to encourage and induce neurotransmitters that regulate the hormones involved in causing happiness and energy. It helps in reducing depression and anxiety too.
- Basil is used for making digestion proper. According to a book “Healing Foods”, basil bring about desirable digestion. It strengthens the digestive and nervous system and can be a good solution in reducing headaches and insomnia. It balances acid and proper pH level in body.
- Oil from basil help cleanse the skin from within. Basil is apt for oily skin types. It also helps in removing dirt and impurities the block the skin pores. Its antimicrobial property helps prevent the formation of acne.
- Basil prevents diabetes. Consuming basil causes a slow release of sugar in blood which in turns reduces the chance of being diabetic. One unique character of basil is its low glycemic load which makes it an important herb. The essential oils of this plant help in cutting down triglyceride and cholesterol levels in the body.
- The strong detoxifying properties of basil make it important for supporting the functions of healthy liver. It may prevent building of fat in the liver.
- Basil contains just 22 calories per 100 grams, therefore; it’s nutrient-heavy and calorie-light.
- Basil may have some compounds that help in anti-aging.
- Basil’s fresh flowers are used for curing bronchitis.
- Basil’s leaves and seeds along with black pepper are used as a medicine for treating malaria.
- Basil’s whole plant can be used as a cure for diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
- Basil’s pill and ointment form are used for curing eczema.
- Alcohol extract from basil plant is used to heal stomach ulcers and diseases related to eyes.
- An essential oil from basil’s leaves is very good for any type of insect bite.
GROWING BASIL INDOOR
Seeing the health benefits of basil, you must be excited to bring this plant home. No need to dishearten yourself if you don’t have a garden, because you can grow it inside your house using herboponics technique. Now you must be curious to know about it. It’s very easy to grow basil in a container inside your small space. Growing basil plant is a hassle-free thing.
There are some points which need to be taken care in order to grow basils.
- Drainage should be properly implemented to grow basil plant.
- One of the most important things to note down, sunlight is very important for basil plant. So while putting the plant, see it gets enough sunlight.
- You can choose either seed or plant to grow basil. Scatter the seeds in your container and cover it with some dirt. Watering the seeds thoroughly is the must. Once the seedling starts growing put them at least six inches apart for better growth.
- Harvesting is one of the most prominent steps in cultivating basil. While harvesting, remove the stem right above where a pair of leaves are growing. After your harvesting, you will notice that two more stems will start growing.
- Once the plant starts flowering, the leaves will lose their good flavor. In order to retain the flavor of leaves, remove the flowers as they grow.
So what are you waiting for? Just click and grow you basil plant at home. It’s just a mouse click far from you. Click, order it now and take the benefits of the plant.
people are currently looking at this product
Estimated delivery time 14-30 days
Guaranteed Safe Checkout